Cookie Warning


A Warning from Poirot:

Mon Ami, allow me to warn you of a possible danger of reading this blog. Although I'm not a programmer, I understand that cookies may be used on this blog. So if your computer, tablet, phone (etc.) finds cookies objectionable, please peruse these posts with a cookie-friendly internet-surfing device.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Pleasant Recollections: Evil Under The Sun

While adding a reading list for 2016, it occurred to me that I cannot continually add lists in the sidebar. So I decided to go through my list of books from 2011, and share a few recollections about those reading experiences. Then, I'll have to edit the list, or move it elsewhere on the blog.

In 2011, I read two novels by Agatha Christie, both featuring her famous detective Hercule Poirot. While I'm familiar with the story of Evil Under The Sun, having seen the production many times, I cannot honestly recall anything from reading the book five years ago. Perhaps, when I read it again, some memories of that earlier experience will return.

For those not familiar with the story, it occurs on Burgh Island off the south coast of Devon, England. Cut off from the mainland, several murders take place there, and it is up to Hercule Poirot to solve them. Agatha Christie visited the island once, and her visit there inspired her to write the novel. Later, when Agatha Christie's Poirot adapted the novel, the TV production also filmed the story on Burgh Island. I had hoped to visit Burgh Island during our tour of Devon last year, but ultimately had to drop it from my itinerary.


A small, unnamed island off Beacon Cove,
one of Agatha Christie's favorite bathing spots
in her hometown of Torquay, England.

There's lots of little islands off the coast of Cornwall and Devon. Not all of them are large enough to have a hotel or village built on them. Some, such as the island of Lundy, off the west coast of Devon, are wildlife sanctuaries. I seriously considered visiting Lundy, as some key events in Charles Kingsley's novel Westward Ho! take place there. But ultimately, we had to drop that visit from our itinerary as well.

Despite all the places we couldn't visit in the time available, including Burgh and Lundy, and all the other picturesque islands off the coast of Devon, we visited some key Agatha Christie sites, including Dartmoor, Torquay, and Dartmouth. Still, with two full weeks available to us, you would think we could have seen more than a fraction of all the places we wished. After all, England is only an island nation, right?

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment