Cookie Warning


A Warning from Poirot:

Mon Ami, allow me to warn you of a possible danger of reading this blog. Although I'm not a programmer, I understand that cookies may be used on this blog. So if your computer, tablet, phone (etc.) finds cookies objectionable, please peruse these posts with a cookie-friendly internet-surfing device.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Hastings in the Houses of Parliament

Recently, I read I Will Repay by Baroness Emma Orczy, the sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel. Although written second, this eventually became the sixth novel in her series of books about Sir Percy Blakeney, a British nobleman who saves the French aristocracy from the guillotine. I like how Orczy took the time later to illumine earlier periods of Sir Percy's life, and I look forward to reading those prequels. I also like how her novels, or at least the two I've read thus far, illumine the French revolution for me. I don't remember studying this period in any depth in school History classes, whether in elementary, high school, or even in my college years. Any American readers out there feel as though their teachers covered the French Revolution well? Or have I just grown forgetful in my, um, mature years?

While reading I noticed some intriguing similarities between Orczy's second novel and the characters and situations Agatha Christie used in her second novel, The Murder on the Links. As Christie set her novel in France, perhaps this was intentional on her part. Likewise, when I read Orczy's first novel, The Scarlet Pimpernel, I spotted similarities with Christie's debut novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles. I wrote about these in a couple posts, perhaps most extensively in "Agatha Christie: Inspiration for Hercule Poirot." (See link below). 

Similarities can always be drawn between stories, especially stories written about a particular country or topic. But one similarity is especially worthy of note. For his early adventures, including The Murder on the Links, Agatha Christie partnered Hercule Poirot with his friend Hastings. Ex-Army officer Captain Arthur Hastings had strong links with the British aristocracy, and worked for a Member of Parliament. Plus, he was an all-around good guy, and fun to have around.



In Baroness Emma Orczy's novels, and especially in I Will Repay, Sir Percy Blakeney helps whisk French nobility from the murderous mobs with stalwart companions who join The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel. One prominently mentioned in I Will Repay is Lord Edward Hastings. Although I don't know him so well, I'm sure he's also a really good guy, and equally fun to have around.

Later in her series, John Hastings (Edward's cousin) would also join the League. I look forward to reading about that.



In 2011, on our first visit to London, my wife and I visited the Palace of Westminster, also known as the Houses of Parliament. The Prime Minister (or P.M.), and the Members of Parliament (or M.P.s), meet in the House of Commons. That's the green upholstered room in the Palace of Westminster, where these elected officials discuss, argue, and vote on governmental issues. By the time we were allowed admittance, the meeting in the House of Commons had adjourned for the night, so we could not see that section of the Palace. But we were allowed admission to the House of Lords. This other wing of the Palace, in which Lords appointed by the monarch, or their successors, meet to discuss the same or similar issues as those of the M.P.s, is upholstered in red. So, in Christie's world, Hastings works for an M.P., elected by the people, who helps run the government of Britain in the green House of Commons. In Orczy's world, Hastings helps run the government in the red House of Lords. Both authors envisioned an important, trustworthy, and fun-loving man named Hastings working in the Palace of Westminster, on the affairs of the nation, on behalf of the British people. An interesting similarity, don't you think?

Of course, as I mentioned in "Agatha Christie's Exclusive Club," Christie and Orczy were both members of The Detection Club, an exclusive writers' club in England. But that would come later for Agatha Christie. When she published The Murder on the Links, she was just an up-and-coming writer, inspired by the efforts of her literary heroes. Might Baroness Emma Orczy have been a hero of Christie's? It'd be nice to pop into Doctor Who's TARDIS, travel back in time, and chat with her about that. After all, it was a Doctor Who TV story, the First Doctor era six-part episode "The Reign of Terror," that got me interested in Baroness Emma Orczy, and reading her books about the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Dragon Dave

Related Poirot Posts:
Agatha Christie: Inspiration for Hercule Poirot
Agatha Christie's Exclusive Club

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that Baroness Orczy also wrote crime stories? She wrote about 'The Old Man In The Corner', who solved problems while sitting in the pub playing with a bit of string.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! After reading The Scarlet Pimpernel, I had no plans to read her further. But after awhile, I found myself hungering to return to her world, and read more of Percy's adventures. Perhaps, one day, I'll read some of Orczy's other stories.

    In the meantime, I've got some crime stories I'm very much enjoying. They come in the form of a TV series called Murder Most English. They make me want to read Colin Watson's novels, and visit Boston, Lincolnshire, where they were filmed. If only the airfare from San Diego to England didn't cost so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come from Boston, and it is now nothing like the time of the books. I'm sure you recognise many of the actors from other series across time. My wife plays the 'where have I seen him/her before' game. My favourite character is Miss Teatime. You'll learn more about her from the books. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete