Cookie Warning


A Warning from Poirot:

Mon Ami, allow me to warn you of a possible danger of reading this blog. Although I'm not a programmer, I understand that cookies may be used on this blog. So if your computer, tablet, phone (etc.) finds cookies objectionable, please peruse these posts with a cookie-friendly internet-surfing device.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Organ in the Mansion


In "Agatha Christie's Poirot," the Cavendish family lives in a large English country manor house. When the matron, Emily Inglethorp, is murdered, suspicion falls upon the man who recently married her: Alfred Inglethorp. Hercule Poirot seems anxious to dissuade the police from arresting him. Yet Inspector Japp and his superior arrive anyway, intent on doing so. It's up to Poirot to give Alfred a seemingly rock solid alibi, as the widower seems reluctant to do so.


When I watched this scene, taking place in what looks like the great hall, I couldn't help but notice the pipes behind Alfred. A close-up of Alfred on the upper floor reveals what look like musical pipes, as if for an organ.


We're all used to churches having pipe organs, but English country manor houses? It's not a feature I've noticed in watching any other British TV show or movie, nor can I remember reading a novel in which the rich live in a grand old house and have a large pipe organ like this. A piano, certainly, but an organ? Does this seem as strange to you as it does to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment