Cookie Warning


A Warning from Poirot:

Mon Ami, allow me to warn you of a possible danger of reading this blog. Although I'm not a programmer, I understand that cookies may be used on this blog. So if your computer, tablet, phone (etc.) finds cookies objectionable, please peruse these posts with a cookie-friendly internet-surfing device.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hercule Poirot's Tree: Finished!


Here's my finished version of Hercule Poirot and his tree. This was my first project using my new Prismacolor pencils. The tree is the only thing that was real. Everything else came from my imagination. The tree was on a slope covered with ice plant outside a doctor's office. I filled in the scenery with grass, a brick path, and a field of rapeseed. 

As I mentioned earlier, somebody cut down my tree when I went back to color it the next week. So I colored it in as best I could, and finished it at home. In the process, I converted a bush up the slope into an apple tree. It's not perfect, but I'm satisfied with it.

The new Prismacolor pencils were fun to use. They had softer lead, so the coloring process went quicker. That didn't mean it came immediately though. I had to work on an area for awhile to fill in the entire paper, not just the topmost bumps or ridges. But I guess that's the cost of using softer lead and thicker paper.

The first day, when I sketched out the tree, I drew a scrap of cloth hanging from the dead tree. I guess I forgot this when I was coloring it in, and the scrap of cloth became just another piece of loose bark. So I added the bloodstain to suggest a clue for Poirot to investigate. In a way, it seems incongruous, as Poirot's investigations have more to do with him figuring out the psychology of the murderer, rather than merely gathering forensic evidence. But hey, it was just a fun art project, give me a break!

I'm taking my Prismacolor pencils to England, so hopefully I'll find lots of other things for Hercule Poirot to investigate there.

No comments:

Post a Comment